Sunday 30 September 2012

I really need to learn to control myself...

Just two stops away by bus, or a fifteen minute walk, from where I live there is a big fruit and vegetable shop. It also sells lots of foreign food, but I've only been there a couple of times and I've mainly focused on the fruits and veg as it's cheaper to buy them there than at the grocery store, and also they have a bigger selection. That is actually one of the things I like about Oslo, there is a much bigger selection in everything than what they have back home. I've got a feeling that if I feel like making a curry or something from scratch one day I will be able to get all the ingredients at that place.

Anyway.

I went down and got some vegetables yesterday, I wish I had brought a backpack or something with me as I wanted to get much more, it was just to heavy to carry everything! Something to try and remember for next time.

I found a recipe for a vegetable lasagne here that I kind of wanted to try out. But I didn't feel like adding the lasagne sheets and a few of the other ingredients, so instead of writing down the ingredient list I just wrote down the procedure and improvised a little bit. It was actually really tasty. I thought it would just taste okay, but it was so tasty I actually ate the whole thing myself, and right now I'm sitting here with a bellyache because I've eaten too much! I thought I would save at least half of it for tomorrow, but I guess I will just have to make it again. It would probably have been a lot more filling if I had added the lasagne sheets, but I also think it wouldn't have tasted as nice.

Here is what I used, sorry, I don't really measure things unless I'm properly following a recipe, and for those of you that are interested I'll put the original recipe at the very bottom.

2 carrots
2 thick slices of swede
A little bit of broccoli
1/2 red onion (I didn't have any "normal" onion)
2 sticks of celery
1 small chilli
3 small squares of frozen spinach
dash of milk
1 box of chopped tomatoes with oregano and basil
1 teaspoon of tomato puré
1 cube of vegetable stock
a handful of grated cheese
about 2/3 of a box of cottage cheese

 - Peel and grate the vegetables. you can use any kind of root vegetable except for beets.
 - Chop the onion. Sauté the vegetables and onion in oil. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puré, vegetable stock cubes, milk, (cream, spices) and salt (I used lemon juice instead as I don't like adding too much salt to my food.) Bring the sauce to a boil. ( I also added some garlic powder, pepper and freshly chopped chilli)
 -  Sauté the spinach for just a short moment in some canola oil and give it a sprinkle of salt.
 - Layer vegetable sauce, (lasagne sheets), spinach and cottage cheese in an oven proof dish. The top layer should be the sauce (I added a handful of grated cheese but it would have been yummy without it as well.). Cook at 225C on the bottom shelf for about 30 minutes
I wish I had had some nice bread to go with it when I ate, that would also have helped fill me up. I will definitely make this again!

As promised here is the original recipe, it's intended for 4 people;

Vegetables:
400 grams raw grated root vegetables (for example 2 carrots, 1 swede and 1/2 stick of celery)
1 big yellow onion
400 grams fresh or frozen spinach
400 grams chopped tomatoes
For frying:
1 tablespoon canola oil
For the sauce:
0,5 decilitres tomato puré
2 teaspoons vegetable stock
2,5 decilitres cream
2,5 decilitres milk
salt, white pepper, basil
12 green lasagne sheets
500 grams cottage cheese

If anybody tries it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...