Friday 20 April 2012

Matched


Matched
By: Ally Condie

Outer back cover: On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia meets her match. Society dictates he is her perfect partner for life.
Except he’s not.
In Cassia’s society, Officials decide who people love. How many children they will have. Where they work. When they die.
But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy, she is determined to make some choices of her own.
And that’s when her whole world begins to unravel…

I really enjoyed this book; I struggled with putting it down, which luckily I only had to do once. “Unfortunately” I found out at the end that it’s the first book of a trilogy, which wouldn’t be too bad if all the books were published, but the last book isn’t due to be released until November this year, so I guess I’ll have to get them all again and read them then, at least I’ve got something to look forward to.

Anyway. I really did enjoy the book and it made me think a lot. The society described in the book could easily be our future, it’s very realistic. And the part of it that made me think a lot was “would it really be so horrible if that’s the way the world worked?” There are some positive and negative sides of the society described in the book, and I guess a lot of people would compare it with communism, but there are positive and negative sides of EVERYTHING. But enough about “politics”, it’s a dangerous subject, read the book for yourselves and form your own opinion.

I really liked Cassie as a character, she grows and changes quite a bit in the book and starts to notice more about the world she lives in. The love story is kind of intriguing, but more because of the background of it than what’s actually happening. It’s hard to explain without giving anything away.

I’m already looking forward to re-reading it in November when the last book in the trilogy comes out, if I can remember. I’m not going to bother to try and find the second book until then as I will have to wait for the last one anyway.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...